Sunday, August 15, 2010

Miles Jesu

This morning we were invited to celebrate Mass with a small community of men who are part of the institution of Miles Jesu - Latin for Militia/Soldiers of Jesus. The institution was founded in the 60's in Arizona, reports directly to the Vatican and has a few small houses all over the world. I got a brief run down this morning, so I'm still unsure of all the details of their ministry and work.

This morning we arrived at their place which is a couple of dusty acres just north of South Mountain in the middle of an citrus (orange?) grove. It is a very simple and modest existence for sure, though we hear they're going to start a small business using the citrus crops on their land. I do know that in this location live 8 men (3 priests and 5 laymen) who have all taken vows of poverty and chastity to live a life dedicated to serving the community and Christ. They practice meditations and devotions as well as provide outreach to the community. They actually encourage lay members (even married couples are welcome to join) to remain in their occupations so they can bring the Kingdom of God to fruition through their daily lives. One of the members is apparently even a Continental airlines pilot! Because of their vow of poverty, everything they eat, use and wear is donated. This is how I got hooked up with the group. I am now part of a group that provides meals and/or groceries for these men. I'll also be bringing them lots of soap, of course! ;-)

The Mass was said mostly in Latin and was incredibly beautiful. The homily was long and not superficial. Micah and I really enjoyed it and agreed it was an amazing experience.

Their chapel is teeny tiny. There were about 3 rows of pews and a row of chairs. Today, it was packed full. Normally, we bring our children to 8:30 Mass because they are freshest early in the morning. This mass started at 10am. Also, unbeknownst to me at the time, the mass would last an hour and 45 minutes (I was told later that their masses aren't usually that long, but the Feast of the Assumption and some other things they had going on made it last longer today). With the confined space and the timing, I was a little nervous about how everything would play out with little children. I was so pleasantly surprised!....not by the children, but by the reception of them. First, we were not the only family there. As a matter of fact, for such a small space, there were A LOT of children there. I have never seen such a kind, compassionate and tolerant group. With every noise, wiggle and outburst from any of the kids, everyone in the place smiled. No one batted an eye when someone had to walk outside with their child, which happened to be me on more than one occasion. Even #3, who launched into a piercing scream when she slid off Micah's shoulder and knocked her head into the pew during the homily (while I was outside with the crying 2-year-old of course) was said to be "full of the Holy Spirit" by the priest actually giving the homily. Perhaps inspired, she ceased crying almost immediately. Given the very small space, every movement and noise was absolutely noticeable, but the murmuring activity seemed to actual help bring the community of believers together, rather than be a nuisance.

Afterward, when we were introducing ourselves to the priest who said Mass, I made a remark about hoping our children weren't too disruptive for him. I will never forget what he said. "Please don't ever apologize for your children. How can we call ourselves pro-life and have no tolerance for them?" He couldn't have made it any more concise than that. Furthermore, they had play equipment in their courtyard and I was told my children were welcome any time. We enjoyed a nice potluck meal (celebrating one of the priests 9th anniversary of his ordination) and then headed home.

I think Micah and I both felt a connection with this group. Their reverence, intellectual approach, warm and inviting demeanor, and lifestyle of complete devotion to Christ in all its simplicity very much inspired us. I'm looking forward to being a small part of that.

No comments: