Friday, July 30, 2010

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes


Last night, I did something I haven't done in about four years - I signed up for a gym membership. What led me to this decision? I didn't have a much of a choice actually.

Several weeks ago there were whispers and rumors, but it was confirmed just a few weeks ago - Our beloved yoga studio was purchased by Lifetime Fitness. EEEEEEKKKK

So the deal is, we sign up for a particular membership and we get unlimited gym access and unlimited yoga. I have been led to believe this level of membership is supposed to make me much cooler than the majority of the other gym members - we'll see.

Logical or not, I have been riddled with stress and anxiety over this change. I'm all for gyms and well-rounded fitness, but I have been in a really good place for the last four years and I was completely happy with the way things were going. What would happen to the atmosphere, classes and teachers I've grown to love? Lifetime has said they are committed to keeping things as much the same as possible, but you know what they say about good intentions.

So, here's my current assessment (subject to change):
PROS:
  • Access to more exercise and more variety. There happens to be a Lifetime very close to my house and it offers EVERYTHING - I'm looking forward to the rock climbing training and certification.
  • Kids Club!! I took the girls with me on my tour and they actually cried when it was time to go because they weren't ready to leave. This is probably the best pro! I now have a lot more flexibility with my fitness desires.
  • Unlimited yoga of course! Not particularly useful now, but when the girls are all in school, this is great.
CONS:
  • The uncertainty of how the changes will play out

I realize how this looks on paper, but that doesn't account for the emotion involved.
However, one of the big components of a yoga practice is learning to remain calm and collected in the face change, stress and adversity. This is an opportunity to take my yoga practice off the mat and into my life.

No comments: