Monday, July 15, 2013

Summer of Paleo

This has been the summer of experimenting with the Paleo Diet.  I just didn't have a lot of knowledge and experience on it, so I picked up a few books and got to work.  The short explanation of Paleo is eating like the cavemen did before industry and agriculture.  Probably one of the more drastic things it does is cut out grains because they would be included in agriculture.  We aren't living 100% Paleo, but we're experimenting with a lot of the concepts.

Another one of my BIG goals for the summer has been improving breakfasts and lunches.  Dinner is great.  For years, it's been no trouble for me to put together a nutritious and delicious meal that doesn't come out of a can or box.  My dinners have lots of fresh veggies and meats.  Breakfast and lunch....not so much.  I blame my lack of time.  It's a lot of work getting 5 kids up and dressed and out the door, much less fed. Never mind that I used the same excuse when I had 1 and 2 kids as well.  So, I still resort to the pretty packages that are so readily available at the grocery store.  Blech!

Well, this summer, I decided to take advantage of the extra time and commit to ditching the cereal and sandwiches....at least a few days a week.  Baby steps.

Between some books and the internet, I've found some pretty interesting stuff.

One of our favorite new breakfasts has been fondly named "Nutmeal"  and is a paleo replacement for oatmeal.  It's a combination of ground almonds, pecans, apple, almond milk and cinnamon warmed on the stove.  This stuff is so good, I could eat the whole pot myself and have to restrain myself.  The two almost-two-year-olds gobble this one up too.

Pictured is one of our dependable paleo lunches.  The rolls are asparagus and avocado wrapped in turkey and ham.  One of my kids asks for these almost daily.  Good stuff!

Ultimately, I hope these habits carry over into the new school year now that I've got some ideas in my arsenal.

No comments: